Do you want to create a website like Craigslist or OLX for free and monetize its traffic? You can easily do that using WordPress, and you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars on custom development.
To create a website like Craigslist with WordPress, you need two things:
- A well-coded classified ads WordPress theme;
- A reliable free WordPress classifieds plugin.
We’ve already made an overview of the most popular free classified ads WordPress themes, so today, we prepared a list of the best free WordPress classifieds plugins that will help you launch a classified ads website in no time.
So, let’s dive in without wasting time!
We’ll start our list with HivePress, a free WordPress classifieds plugin that lets you create a business directory or a classified ads website of any type. HivePress already includes all the essential features for launching a website similar to Craigslist or OLX, such as:
- Front-end Listing Submission – anyone can register on your website and add a listing;
- User Dashboards – all registered users have their own dashboards for managing listings;
- Location-based Search – allows users to search listings by location, radius or regions;
- On-site Messaging – users can easily communicate with each other and exchange attachments;
- Ratings & Reviews System – registered users can rate listings and leave reviews;
- Favorites – allows customers to keep a list of favorite listings.
The plugin is highly customizable which means that you can set up your classified ads website in the way you like. For example, HivePress has no hardcoded fields and you can easily add custom:
- Listing Fields & Search Filters;
- Vendor Profile Fields & Search Filters;
- Listing & Vendor Categories;
Moreover, HivePress is fully integrated with the Gutenberg page builder, which allows you to build stunning layouts with the drag-and-drop feature.
The HivePress plugin supports several monetization models, so you’ll be able to make money with your classified ads website hassle-free. For example, as a website owner, you can:
- Charge users for adding listings;
- Charge vendors for making listings featured;
- Charge companies for claiming their listings.
Also, to accept and process payments, HivePress is integrated with WooCommerce, the most popular e-commerce plugin that enables dozens of payment gateways worldwide.
Even if you found a reliable plugin for your project, sometimes it may be a tough deal to find a suitable WordPress theme. While the plugin is compatible with any well-coded theme, HivePress developers offer several handcrafted themes that work with HivePress like a charm:
- ListingHive – A free classified ads WordPress theme. At the time of writing, it’s the most popular free WP classifieds theme at the WP repository, with more than 8000 active installations;
- ExpertHive – A freelance marketplace WordPress theme for building websites like Thumbtack or TaskRabbit;
- RentalHive – A rental marketplace WordPress theme that allows you to create a website like Airbnb;
- TaskHive – A micro-jobs WordPress theme for launching sites like Fiverr or Upwork;
- JobHive – A job board WordPress theme that allows you to create an online job portal.
The HivePress plugin is not limited to its core functionality, and there are 15+ free and premium add-ons that you may use if you want to have some extra features on your classifieds website. For example, here are some of the extensions you may want to add:
- Bookings – to allow users to book listings;
- Memberships – to hide specific content on your website and charge users for viewing it;
- Social Login – to allow website visitors to sign in via third-party platforms (e.g., Facebook, Google, etc.);
- Opening Hours – let vendors set opening hours to their listings;
- Search Alerts – to notify website visitors about new listings.
You can install any of the extensions mentioned above directly from your WordPress dashboard.
Although HivePress is an open-source plugin, it is still directly supported by its developers via the community forum or email. So if you have any issues with setting up HivePress or have some general questions, feel free to drop a line to its developers, guys who know their product inside and out.
HivePress itself and its default ListingHive theme are totally free, and you can easily find them on the WordPress repository. Also, if you want to enhance your classified ads website with some premium extensions, the price for HivePress add-ons varies from $29 to $39 per lifetime single-site license.
|Average Rating||4.9 out of 5 stars (149 reviews)|
Now, we’d like to show you another free WordPress classifieds plugin in our list – Classified Listing. It’s a modern classified ads plugin with a clean and easy-to-navigate design that goes with many useful features. Here are some of the noteworthy ones:
- Front-end Listing Submission – any registered user can add listings;
- Guest Submission – users can allow guests to submit posts without logging in;
- User Dashboard – all registered users have their own accounts where they can manage their listings;
- Location-based Search – integrates your website with OpenStreetMap or Google Maps and allows users to search listings by location;
- Currency Control – you can choose the currency and set its format on your website.
Classified Listing allows you to make money with your classified ads website by charging users for adding and featuring ads. The free version of the plugin supports the PayPal payment system for accepting and processing payments.
Also, the plugin is fully compatible with Gutenberg and Elementor page builders giving you full control over page layouts on your website.
The plugin may be a good option if you want to create a classified ads website with the essential functionality. The only downside of this free classifieds WordPress plugin is that it lacks some nice-to-have features, like custom listing fields and search filters (in its free version), which means that you won’t be able to fully customize your site.
This free WordPress classifieds plugin should work well with any WordPress theme, but you can choose any of 5+ premium themes from the same developers to be sure that no compatibility issues occur.
The plugin developers offer themes for different niches, including the classified ads WordPress theme – Classima, which has pretty nice reviews on Themeforest.
Besides the free version of the plugin, there is also a Pro one with several advanced features. For example, in the Pro version, you’ll be able to create custom listing fields, add custom search filters, use additional monetization tools, integrate your website with Stripe and so on.
Additionally, the plugin’s developers offer several premium add-ons that can be purchased on the official website.
If you are going to use the free version of this WordPress classifieds plugin, then be ready that support is provided solely at WP.org since, on the official website, support is available only for users with an active membership plan.
You can find the free version of this classifieds plugin in the WordPress repository and install it in a few clicks. However, if you need more advanced features, you may consider buying a Pro version for $99 per lifetime license. Also, the price for premium extensions varies between $24 and $49.
|Average Rating||4.9 out of 5 stars (51 reviews)|
Advanced Classifieds & Directory Pro
Advanced Classifieds & Directory Pro is a free WordPress classifieds plugin that is suitable for building different types of classified ads websites. It comes with an intuitive interface, so getting your website up and running won’t be an issue even if you are not an advanced user.
The plugin already includes some crucial features like unlimited categories and listings, custom fields, featured listings, bookmarks, location-based search, etc. All these features should be enough to launch a well-functioning classifieds website.
Also, the Advanced Classifieds & Directory Pro plugin allows you to customize the look and feel of your website as you like. The plugin is compatible with Elementor and WP Bakery, so you’ll be able to set up layouts with your favorite page builders.
However, if you want to monetize your classified ads website, you’ll have to upgrade to the premium version. The Pro version allows you to charge vendors for adding new listings, and it comes with WooCommerce integration for payment processing.
Although there are no official themes for this free WordPress classifieds plugin, it was designed to work with any well-coded WordPress theme, so you can try using it with your theme, and if you have any compatibility issues, feel free to contact the plugin’s developers.
There are no add-ons for Advanced Classifieds & Directory Pro, but the plugin can be upgraded to the Pro version that comes with different extra features (like Paid Listings and Image Slider).
On the official plugin’s website, you can find detailed documentation that can help you get started as well as troubleshoot the most common issues. Additionally, you can create a support ticket if you need help with setting up the plugin.
It’s a free WordPress classifieds plugin, so you can install it right from your WordPress dashboard. But you may also consider buying the premium version of the plugin for $95 per year or paying $289 and get a lifetime license.
|Average Rating||4.8 out of 5 stars (88 reviews)|
WPAdverts is another free WordPress classifieds plugin on our list. The free version of the plugin has the basic classified ads website features like front-end submission, messages and paid listings. Although the design is a bit dated, WPAdverts still may be an option if you want to create a simple classified ads website.
However, bear in mind that the free version of this WordPress classifieds plugin is quite limited and lacks many crucial features. For example, if you don’t have a membership plan, you won’t be able to:
- Set category icons;
- Enable maps and use the location-based search;
- Add custom listing fields;
- Use WooCommerce payments (the only payment gateway available for free is direct bank transfer).
The plugin developers ensure that WPAdverts should work fine with any WordPress classified ads theme and that no issues should occur. Since there are no official WPAdverts themes at the time of writing, you’ll have to look for a reliable theme for your project by trial and error.
As you probably guessed, there’s also a Pro version of WPAdverts with a larger pool of features. The Pro version allows you to create custom listing fields, add different payment gateways, provide users with statistics, and so on.
Also, there are various premium WPAdverts add-ons that you may check and buy directly via your WP dashboard, but there’s no option to buy them separately, so you’ll have to purchase one of the available packages.
There’s a support ticket system on the official website, which you can use for any pre-sales questions or feedback, as well as technical support requests. Additionally, there’s a documentation section that allows you to set up your classified ads website on your own.
If the free version of WPAdverts works for you, feel free to download it from WP.org. However, if you need more advanced functionality, then you’ll have to purchase the Pro version. There are the following packages:
- Start-Up – $179 for a lifetime license or a subscription $59 per year;
- Professional – $449 for a lifetime license or a subscription $149 per year;
- Professional Plus – $899 for a lifetime license or a subscription $299 per year.
All the packages differ in the number of extensions included and the ability to use the plugin on multiple websites. We recommend visiting the official website to get a better idea of the pricing.
|Average Rating||4.9 out of 5 stars (153 reviews)|
WordPress Classifieds Plugin (AWPCP)
WordPress Classifieds Plugin (also formerly known as AWPCP or Another WordPress Classifieds Plugin) is a well-known free WordPress classifieds plugin. In former times it was a default choice for many website creators who wanted to launch a classified ads website. The plugin includes some must-have features like advanced search, paid listings and front-end submission.
However, the free version lacks tons of essential features, such as category icons, messaging system, the ability to rate ads and leave comments, featured ads, an option to bookmark ads, and there are only a few payment gateways, etc.
While the Pro version of the WordPress Classifieds Plugin may be a really good option for launching your own classified ads website, with the free version, you may get stuck with a simple website that has only basic functionality and limited monetization options.
That’s why we recommend visiting the official WordPress Classifieds Plugin website and checking all the features that are included in the free version before using it.
There are no official themes from the plugin developers, so you’ll have to integrate this classifieds plugin with some popular WP classifieds themes. However, developers mentioned that the free WordPress Classifieds Plugin should work with any well-written, WP-compliant theme.
Moreover, they recommend using some of the WooThemes for smooth functioning.
There are no free extensions, but the plugin can be enhanced with premium ones, such as:
- Ratings and Comments – allow users to rate and comment on the ads;
- Extra Fields – create your own listing fields according to your website niche;
- Coupons – offer users discounts to place listings on your site;
- Attachments – allow users to post additional content (like menus or part lists) on their listings;
- Featured Ads – make money by featuring certain listings.
However, you won’t be able to purchase any of these add-ons separately and have to consider buying one of the membership packages.
If you have any issues with WordPress Classifieds Plugin, you can visit the official website, create a new support ticket or check the available documentation. Support questions are generally answered within 24 hours, except on weekends.
The free WordPress Classifieds Plugin can be installed for free from your WP dashboard. However, if you need the premium version, the membership plans range in price from $50/year to $250/year, depending on the extensions included.
|Average Rating||4.6 out of 5 stars (294 reviews)|
The last free WordPress classifieds plugin on our list is GeoDirectory. It’s a pretty well-known plugin that has been on the market for quite a while. As the name suggests, the plugin focuses on location-based features. Also, among the other features, the free version includes the following ones:
- Custom Listing Fields – you can add your own fields that match your website niche (custom search filters are included only in the pro version);
- Ratings & Reviews – allow users to leave reviews about listings;
- Bookmarks – registered users can bookmark listings and get back to them later.
The free version of the plugin allows you to make money only by featuring certain listings and other business models like Paid Listings and Claim Listings require purchasing the Pro version of the plugin.
Also, please note that GeoDirectory comes with several hard-coded fields, so you’ll have to use some coding if you want to customize them.
There are 3 free themes from GeoDirectory developers that work great with this plugin. Moreover, there are 5+ premium themes that you can use if you don’t want to start your classified ads website from scratch.
This free WordPress classifieds plugin is extensible by design, meaning that you can use different add-ons available for GeoDirectory. For example, here are some of the premium extensions that you can use:
- Radius Search – enables the radius-based search;
- Compare – this feature allows users to compare several listings side by side;
- Monetization Tools – allow you to charge users for adding new listings and claiming the existing ones;
- Import – allows you to import listings to your website.
There are many other free and paid add-ons, so feel free to check them out.
Support is provided via email or on WP.org. Also, you can check out the available documentation and the FAQs section on the plugin’s website.
The GeoDirectory add-ons cost around $19-$39 per license. But you may consider buying the membership plan that includes all the add-ons and themes for $199 / year.
|Average Rating||4.7 out of 5 stars (530 reviews)|
That’s it! We hope that this list of the best free WordPress classifieds plugins was helpful to you, and now you have a better understanding of the available plugins that you can use when it comes to building classified ads websites. Each of these plugins has its own pros and cons, so you can get started with the one that suits your project best.
If you haven’t decided yet, you may want to check HivePress plugin. It’s a lightweight and highly customizable classified ads plugin that has all the necessary features for building a solid classifieds website right out of the box. Moreover, you don’t have to be tech-savvy to set it up since it goes with a highly intuitive interface, so you can just plug and play.
Additionally, feel free to check our overview of the most popular free directory WordPress plugins.
A handpicked list of the top Airbnb-like WordPress themes for building a multi-vendor booking platform.